Friday 26 July 2013

GARGOYLE MERINGUES


The meringue has always been a bit of a mystery to me.




My mum used to make them all the time when I was little and, although I never took to the ones I found in the shops once I'd grown up, I never felt a burning urge to make them myself.

All that changed on Sunday.  We visited good friends in Ireland and were treated to the most amazing tray of meringues I have ever tasted in my life (sorry Mum).  

It turned out that they were adapted from an old family recipe for pavlova and, in the true spirit of The Starving Artists’ Kitchen, they’re made from ingredients that you'll find at the back of your cupboard.  

They looked pretty spectacular too.  Here’s how they did it.

INGREDIENTS


6 egg whites
2 teaspoons custard powder
2 pinches salt
2 teaspoons white vinegar (this will make the insides lovely and gooey)
2 teacups caster sugar


METHOD


1. Beat egg whites and salt together until very stiff and whipping into peaks.

2. Add half of the sugar, continuing to beat all the time.

3. Fold in the remaining sugar, custard powder and white vinegar.  I know this sounds revolting but trust me, it will make all the difference.

4. Bake at 150 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.  The meringues should be golden on the outside, gooey on the inside and not look out of place on Notre Dame.  Fabulous.



No comments:

Post a Comment